MEET OUR NEW INTERNS - SUMMER 2015!

Located in the center of Indianapolis, The International Center has welcomed nine interns from all over the world this summer. Each intern wrote a short bio about themselves, a tradition here at The Center, in order to help us learn more about who will be contributing this summer. Without further ado, meet our new interns!


Cullen Bickle – Marketing and Communications Intern
USA
Cullen at the Forbidden City in Beijing, China
Hello! Hola! Nǐ hǎo! I'm Cullen Bickle and I am the new Marketing and Communications Intern this summer! I am from Carmel, IN and will be a senior in the fall at Butler University majoring in International Business and Marketing. The aspect of “international,” such as learning about different cultures and customs or meeting people from different countries, has been a passion of mine ever since I moved to Madrid, Spain my senior year of high school and I have lived there for just over four years now when I am not attending Butler. Last spring I was fortunate enough to study abroad and spend five months in Hong Kong at Lingnan University. During my time there I did my best to travel and see the most of South East Asia, learn more about international marketing, and immerse myself in the Asian culture. These experiences have given me the opportunity to visit some amazing places, meet many different people, and shape me into the man that I am today. It is safe to say that I have recently been living the dream!

I am excited to be an intern at The International Center and work with the marketing team this summer as I will be able to enhance my professional experience and be able to participate in a global environment within my home state of Indiana. Traveling all over the world and living in many different places, Indianapolis has always been very close to my heart. Therefore I cannot wait to help make this great city more global!

My interests include listening to music, traveling, hanging out with friends, watching many different television series, and sports. I am a diehard Real Madrid and Green Bay Packer fan and as a Hoosier I love supporting my Butler Bulldogs and Indiana Pacers on the basketball court.

Sarah Evans – Global Competency Intern
USA 
Sarah in Salzburg, Austria
Hello! I’m Sarah Evans and I am the Global Competency Training Intern for this summer. I work with Ansuyah Naiken to help Hoosiers and Indiana organizations and companies become more globally aware and culturally sensitive.

 Right now I’m a senior at IUPUI majoring in English (linguistics) and German. Adventure and travel have always been passions of mine, and last summer I had the opportunity to study abroad in Austria and Germany for three months. It was eye-opening to study and live with students from all over the world; this experience became the main reason why I decided that I wanted to work in an international environment. Hence, the internship at The International Center! After I graduate next spring, I am thinking of taking a gap year to teach English somewhere overseas before eventually heading to graduate school.

Although I’ve only interned at The International Center for a short amount of time, I have already seen the difference it is making in Indiana. It’s exciting to be part of an organization that is seeking to broaden Indiana’s global presence and help those here increase their global understanding. I'm looking forward to the rest of my time at The International Center this summer.

Rhea Gajaria – Development Intern 
India 
Rhea with the Pope in Venice, Italy
Hello! I am Rhea Gajaria, and I serve as the Development Intern here at the International Center. I work under the Development Manager Magdalena Josipovic, where I focus on conducting thorough research over current and potential donors, completing the process of the development of funding resources for the International Center.

Originally born in the city of Mumbai, India, I moved to Indiana when I was 2 years old and have been a Hoosier ever since. I went to school in Carmel, Indiana, a small town located just north of Indianapolis, and will be a freshman at Indiana University, Bloomington, studying in the Kelley School of Business. There, I will be majoring in International Business and Marketing while minoring in Economics and French.

My love for travel and international cultures began as a child with my sudden shift from India to the United States, and has only grown with my overseas travels (so far) to India, Argentina, Costa Rica, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Germany, Switzerland, France and Italy over the past years. I hope to continue my experiences abroad by both travelling and studying overseas in the future. Other than travel, I enjoy the great outdoors, all dogs, biking, tennis, movies, reading, family and friends, as well as finding new things to do.

Sarah Gibbons – International Citizen of the Year (ICY) Intern 
USA 
Sarah (right) in New York City
Hello! My name is Sarah Gibbons and I am the International Citizen of the Year (ICY) event planning Intern for this year. I am a senior at Butler University majoring in both Political Science and Strategic Communications. I am so lucky to be on the team that is helping plan the ICY Awards Dinner this year. This top notch event honors an individual in Indiana who has made meaningful contributions to both Indiana and communities around the world. This year’s honoree is John C. Lechleiter, Chief Executive Officer, Chairman and President of Eli Lilly and Company.

I am originally from Cincinnati, Ohio but have lived in New York City for the past couple years. I have always had the desire to travel, and living in the heart of New York City has only enhanced my hope to travel and experience other cultures in the future. I experience the same diversity working at The International Center that I do walking down the streets of New York City. Every day I not only get to work on skills necessary for my career, but I also get to learn about cultures from all around the world. This one-of-a-kind opportunity is what makes interning at The International Center such a unique and special experience.

Along with working at The International Center, I am also a swim coach at a local country club (which is fitting because I am on the varsity swim team at Butler.) My love of traveling is as strong as my love for competing in the pool, and I look forward to seeing what opportunities are created through my internship here this summer.

Kali Hassinger – Relocations Intern 
USA 
Kali in Poland
My name is Kali Hassinger and I am the new summer Relocations intern. I am 21 years old, have two sisters, and my family lives in Westfield, IN. I am currently going to be a senior at Indiana University - Bloomington majoring in economics and minoring in Chinese. In 2005-2007 I lived in Shanghai, China because my dad was relocated there for his job. This experienced allowed my family and me to be able to travel amongst the world, so much so that I have been to more countries than I have states.

Kate McCarter – Office of Protocol Intern
USA 
Kate at the Matterhorn in Zermatt, Switzerland
Hello! My name is Kate McCarter and I am the Office of Protocol intern. I work with Peter Kirkwood to educate Indiana citizens about the proper etiquette and protocol of other countries. We also maintain The International Center’s flag collection. I am an incoming senior at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois, majoring in Linguistics and minoring in Spanish. Language and traveling are an integral part of who I am, and I have made these the cornerstones of my educational and extracurricular experiences. I have traveled extensively outside of the U.S. with my family. I have also completed a Spanish immersion program in Spain and was abroad for the entire 2014-15 academic year in Germany (Fall semester) and Scotland (Spring semester). In addition to Spanish, I speak German and am learning Arabic. I believe that linguistic and cultural immersion is extremely helpful in gaining an understanding of a country, its people, and its language. Learning new languages and exploring new cultures is one of my favorite past-times. I also love to read, run, cook, and practice yoga. Indiana is my home and I am very excited to help The International Center serve as catalyst for Indiana’s international growth.

Moon Seung Yeon – China Project Intern
South Korea 
Moon at the Grand Canyon in Arizona
Hello! My name is Moon Seung Yeon currently majoring in International Business at Ball State University. This is my 4th year in the United States and I really like staying here. I am the China Project Intern here at The International Center. I work with Lei to conduct market research both in China and in Indiana to identify potential clients for the China project and assist Lei to formulate business plans.

Since I was young I have traveled the world, studying in Korea, China, the Philippines, New Zealand, and the United States. Through this, I have gained a passion and interest for learning about different cultures and languages, as well as connecting with the unique people from those places.

Mallory Noble – International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP) Intern
USA
Mallory in Tours, France
Salut! My name is Mallory Noble and I am from Fishers, IN, just north of Indianapolis. I am currently a junior at Hanover College double majoring in International Studies and French with a minor in Business. This summer I am the International Visitor Leadership Program Intern at The International Center, working under Beth Barich. I have always had a passion for learning about other cultures and people around the world, but it was through my experiences at Hanover that truly helped me discover that I want to spend the rest of my life working with international individuals. I just returned from a study abroad experience in Tours, France where I focused on the French language and culture this past May and hope to do an entire semester in Belgium in the winter of this upcoming school year. Outside of my travels in France, I have visited the United Kingdom, Switzerland, Canada, and several islands in the Caribbean.

The International Visitor Leadership Program was created by the U.S. Department of State as an exchange program for international groups and individuals. At The International Center, it is our job to welcome international leaders when they come to Indianapolis through this program, as well as creating itineraries with visits and meetings to best fit what they are hoping to learn during their stay in the city. I am thrilled to be the IVLP intern this summer, as it gives me a great opportunity to meet and work with a variety of international guests. Along with this, I will be focusing on gaining international experience and developing my leadership and intercultural communication skills over the next couple of months.

Masha Pupko – Programs and Services Intern
Belarus
Masha volunteering in Bangkok, Thailand
Privet! My name is Masha Pupko and I am the Programs and Services Intern at The International Center this summer. I am originally from Belarus. I am currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science and Human Development & Social Relations at Earlham College in Richmond, IN. I have a great deal of international experience and comfortable in cross-cultural environments. I have lived in Ireland, Italy, and Thailand. In addition, I have visited Armenia, Russia, Ukraine, Lithuania, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, Miramar, France, and Croatia.

I am a passionate advocate for issues of injustice and committed to challenge bias against the poor and minorities in the U.S. and around the world. I have had an opportunity to convene Amnesty International Club as well as been an active member of the Model United Nations Club at Earlham College. I aspire to become a Public Interest lawyer and hope to serve people in need globally.

This is my first time living in Indianapolis so like many of our clients I am excited to explore the city! I am also extremely excited to intern with The International Center. During my time here, I hope to learn more about working in the business world as well as how different organizations and individuals can foster cross-cultural cooperation and economic development.

No comments:

Post a Comment