Meet the Interns: Spring 2014

It’s that time of year! Just as we turn over to a new calendar and prepare for the upcoming year, a new team of interns has joined The International Center for the spring. As the first blog post for 2014, each intern has shared a little about his or her self. Without further ado, meet the interns!


Fiyinfolu Arotiba - Kogi, Nigeria
Office of Protocol Intern

Degree in Political Science from the University of Ibadan, Nigeria
Masters Student in International Relations at University of Indianapolis

“I was attracted to The International Center because I saw that past interns were involved in all parts of the organization, they seemed to have had a wholesome experience. Not only performing basic physical tasks, but also doing meaningful research and contributing to the development of the organization. The cross-cultural training under the Global Competency Department particularly caught my eye. It seemed very interesting. I also wanted to experience and learn what it is like to work in an American organization.”


Blake Bowers - Indianapolis, IN
Marketing Intern

Studying Marketing and Finance at Franklin College

“I was introduced to The International Center via a Franklin College campus announcement. Many potential job opportunities and internships appear in those emails, but rarely do any catch my attention. The International Center was an exception. I was instantly intrigued by The Center’s mission and tag line, “A catalyst for a global Indiana.” This was the first internship opportunity that I was genuinely excited about and the interview confirmed and heightened that excitement. Having been with The International Center for roughly two weeks now, I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience. I hope to gain a greater knowledge and respect for different cultures while working here and it seems that hope will soon become a reality”.


CiCi Du - Beijing, China
Office of Protocol Intern

Economics and Communications Major at DePauw University

“I learned about The International Center from a friend at DePauw who worked at the Asian Learning Center, so now I’m at the Office of Protocol. I worked at school with International Student Advisory board and as an International Student Ambassador…. I really want to improve my written and verbal communication because that is what I study and The International Center is a good way to learn about programming when people contact business and cross-cultural communication.”


Hanako Gavia - Indianapolis, IN
Relocations Intern

International Studies Major with Minor in Japanese and Spanish at Indiana University Bloomington

“I found out about The International Center and their internship program initially from two of my very good friends. Despite the gaps in the time they had done their internships and the two of them being in different departments, both of them had had such a great time and benefitted deeply from the experience. I was raised in an international environment, (my maternal grandmother being from Japan and my paternal grandfather being from Mexico, along with both my parents spending a large length of time abroad) so I wanted to not only build my resume and have experience, but to also do something I felt was helpful to another group of people. The International Center seemed like it would be a good fit.”


Abby Miller - Indianapolis, IN
Communications Intern

Studying English and French at Butler University

“I work with international students at Butler and through that experience I have discovered a passion for learning about people, places, and customs from all around the world. As a lifelong Hoosier, I am equally passionate about sharing the many wonderful things Indianapolis and Indiana have to offer. The International Center will be a great opportunity for me to combine my desires to grow professionally and interact in a culturally diverse atmosphere.



Corinne O’Brien - Valparaiso, IN
Global Competency Intern

Studying Economic Consulting and Public Policy Analysis at Indiana University Bloomington

“My time at the Kelley School of Business thus far has allowed me to pursue my interest in international business and international relations through coursework and trips to England, Ghana, and India. I am excited to work at The International Center in order to apply my existing knowledge of cultural intricacies and cross- cultural communication, but also to learn much more through research and engagements with my co-workers and professionals. During my first weeks, I have gotten a good taste of what my semester as the Global Competency intern will be like; I am extremely excited to continue to meet with clients from various organizations and businesses in order to serve as a cultural consultant. I am happy to be among the center’s passionate, knowledgeable, and hard-working staff. I can’t wait to see where this semester goes!”


Kader Sahin - Turkey
Operations Intern

Bachelor of Arts in Economics from Adnan Menderes University, Turkey
Master of Arts in Economics from IUPUI, Indianapolis

“I love meeting new people from different countries, learning about their cultures, learning differences and similarities among languages, and trying out different cuisines. Moving from Turkey to United States only made the desire to explore other cultures even stronger. I have travelled to more than 10 states and been in Indianapolis for five years. When I compare all of them with each other, I feel Indy is my home in the United States. As an operations intern, while improving my quantitative skills at The International Center, I am looking forward to exploring more with cross-cultural trainings and observing how everybody works in harmony to improve my qualitative skills as well. I am very glad that The International Center provides that! It’s a fun, very colorful place to work.”


Samy Samandu - Democratic Republic of the Congo
IVLP Intern

Bachelors in Political Science from Indiana University South Bend

“I learned about The International Center when I looked up international organizations online. I was interested in experiencing what each department does and the opportunity to meet leaders from everywhere. I am excited to put my degree to use at a non-profit organization. One day my goal is to start my own not-for-profit organization. I’m looking forward to my whole experience at The International Center, making connections, and taking everything in.”



We are from all over the globe and we each have different backgrounds and fields of study from different universities, but we all share an interest in foreign cultures and growing professionally in an international environment. Our individual and diverse skill sets will be used to assist The International Center in expanding Indiana's global interest. In return, we are all looking forward to learning and growing through the many opportunities ahead of us at The International Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment