Birthdays and Naturalization Ceremony

By Peter Robbins, Marketing and Communications Intern




We receieved red velvet cupcakes from our fellow interns.
Today started out like any normal Thursday, but when I got to work, I saw there were some silly pictures of me in eighth grade taped to my computer.  It’s my birthday, and none of the other interns are going to let me forget that.  I also had a cheesecake on my desk from my boss, Billie. Then, the interns all came into my office and sang happy birthday to Ellie (whose birthday was last week) and me, presenting us with cupcakes with candles in them.

The Federal Courthouse where the ceremony took place.
The celebration continued when four of us interns, along with Jennifer (director of stakeholder relations) walked over to the federal courthouse to sit in on a naturalization ceremony.  Marielle read the International Center official spiel to the 56 new United States citizens (representing 41 different countries) and presented an American flag that has flown over the U.S. Capitol to the eldest new citizen.  Seeing a naturalization ceremony firsthand was an honor. I could see the pride in all the faces in the room, no more in the faces of the people who were being naturalized in the front of the room than in those of their family and friends in the back of the room.  I look forward to going to more naturalization ceremonies in the future.


On the list of things to do today is to finish a presentation about Croatia I’ll be giving at Monday’s staff meeting (since the next delegation hosted by IVLP is from Croatia), put the first draft of my mini-resume to bed and finish writing a letter in French to the French Consulate in Chicago asking them to send someone to attend the Indiana Black Expo “Doing Business Globally” session in July.  I am also working on contacting the people profiled in the book New Faces at the Crossroads (2007) so I can write updated stories about their lives as international citizens of Indiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment